CI-5: DIE PROFIS FANBOARD
April 19, 2024, 10:54:31 *
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren.

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge
News:

Übersicht   Hilfe Suche Einloggen Registrieren  
Meine anderen Foren und Homepages
Seiten: [1]
  Drucken  
Autor Thema: Interview mit Martin Shaw  (Gelesen 1765 mal)
FourFive
Sparingspartner für Bodie & Doyle

« am: Dezember 03, 2013, 06:52:45 »

Hier beantwortet er einige Fragen....

Sehr schönes Interview, wie ich finde:

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2013/dec/03/martin-shaw-portrait-artist

Martin Shaw, actor – portrait of the artist
Actor Martin Shaw talks about working with Polanski, the dumbing-down of his profession, and the death of his fellow Professional Lewis Collins

Interview by Laura Barnett
The Guardian, Tuesday 3 December 2013 16.26 GMT

Martin Shaw
Martin Shaw Photograph: Martin Godwin/Martin Godwin for the Guardian
How did you become interested in acting?

Twelve Angry Men
Garrick theatre, London
Until 1 March 2014
Box office:
0844 412 4662
Venue website
It started at school. I didn't have a healthy attitude towards education: it took me a long time to work out that I was there for me, not for my teachers. There were only two teachers I could really respond to – one taught English, the other drama. When we were doing Shakespeare, it seemed crystal-clear.

What was your big breakthrough?

In 1968, I appeared at the Royal Court in the first major revival of Look Back in Anger (1). Then I starred in several other plays there. Roman Polanski saw one and offered me the role of Banquo in his film of Macbeth. Everything took off from there.

What have you sacrificed for your art?

I've grown a few grey hairs – well, a lot of grey hairs by now. And there's been a great deal of fatigue. Acting does put a strain on relationships. You're away from home a lot. In that sense, it's almost military.

Your three children also act. Were you worried about them following you?

I was. Acting was precarious in the 1960s, but it's even more so now because of the onward, crushing march of dumbing-down. Some producers and directors think acting is just about learning the lines and looking good. When I was at Lamda (2), acting was rightly considered an art form, like music, dancing, painting.

What advice would you give a young actor?

Don't do it unless you have an absolutely burning desire – and then just do the best you can. If you are at all attracted by the trappings of celebrity, walk away. You will have a miserable time.

Is there a downside to fame?

Oh yes. There aren't any upsides, really, other than the fact that people consider you first for parts, and you tend to get paid a lot more. Celebrity has nothing going for it. It's no good saying to me: "It goes with the job." No, it doesn't. My contract says: "to play the part of, for the sum of". It says nothing about what I should do outside the stage door, or when I'm having dinner in a restaurant and somebody interrupts me.

Stage or screen?

Both have their attractions. With screen, you're able to create something instantly real. But on stage, you get the chance to make a Chippendale desk: you work minutely, engraving and polishing your performance, from the first night to the last.

What has been your biggest challenge?

Playing Elvis Presley in 1985 (3). I was on my knees with exhaustion.

Is there anything about your career you regret?

The Professionals didn't do me much good. All the work I'd done before – at the National with Laurence Olivier – seemed to vanish. But I don't really regret it. Lewis (4) and I had good times together, and we had bad times together, as we all do in life. I'm so sorry he passed away at such a young age.

What's the worst thing anyone ever said about you?

About 30 years ago, I was in Clifford Odets's play The Big Knife (5). One reviewer said: "Martin Shaw couldn't play a Hollywood heavy if his trouser turn-ups were filled with lead." But I'm lucky: I think that's the only bad review I've ever had.

In short

Born: Birmingham, 1945.

Career: Best known for TV series The Professionals, Judge John Deed and Inspector George Gently; has also performed at the Royal Court, the National and in London's West End.

Low point: "None. I've been very lucky."

High point: "Lots: working with Laurence Olivier and Roman Polanski, and playing Cecil Rhodes in South Africa."

Footnotes

(1) John Osborne's play premiered at the London theatre in 1956; Shaw appeared alongside Jane Asher in the revival. Back to article

(2) The London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art. Shaw remembers it as "a very progressive drama school – probably the best in the world". Back to article

(3) Alan Bleasdale's play Are You Lonesome Tonight? was about Presley's final hours. Back to article

(4) Lewis Collins, his co-star, who died last week. Back to article

(5) A critic once summed up this play about Hollywood as "a group of sordid people jawing at one another violently". Back to article

Phantasie ist etwas, was sich manche Leute gar nicht vorstellen können....
Seiten: [1]
  Drucken  

Gehe zu:  

Meine anderen Foren und Homepages

RECHTLICHER HINWEIS!
Das Landgericht Hamburg hat im Urteil vom 12.05.1998 entschieden, daß man durch die Aufbringung von Links die Inhalte der gelinkten Seite ggf. mit zu verantworten hat. Die kann - so das LG - nur dadurch verhindert werden, daß man sich ausdrücklich von diesen Inhalten distanziert. Für alle Links auf diesem Forum gilt: Ich, der Eigentümer dieses Forum, betone ausdrücklich, daß ich keinerlei Einfluß auf die Gestaltung und die Inhalte der gelinkten Seiten habe. Deshalb distanziere ich mich hiermit ausdrücklich von allen Inhalten aller gelinkten Seiten auf dem gesamten Forum inklusive aller Unterseiten. Diese Erklärung gilt für alle auf der Homepage tvparadies.net und tvparadies.net/ci_5 (Das Profis Fanboard - Forum) angebrachten Links und für alle Inhalte der Seiten, zu denen Links führen.