ROBERT URICH FANBOARD
19. März 2024, 08:59:30 *
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren.

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge
News: Neuer Spenser Roman Robert Urich Biographie - An Extraordinary Life - ab 30.08.2019

Homepage   Übersicht   Hilfe Suche Einloggen Registrieren  

Meine anderen Foren und Homepages
Robert Urich Links Logo Robert Urich Homepage Link Robert Urich Fanpage Link Robert Urich Twitter Link Robert Urich Facebook Link
Seiten: [1] 2 3
  Drucken  
Autor Thema: RBP Interview-Sammelthread  (Gelesen 4126 mal)
Seamus
Administrator
Dan Tanna's Wagenwäscher

Profil anzeigen WWW
« am: 18. März 2014, 05:17:06 »

Hier mal ein allgemeiner Sammelthread über Robert B. Parker's Auftritte im Radio oder in sonstigen Audio-Specials, in denen er Interviews gegeben oder an Diskussionen teilgenommen hat.

Anlässlich zum 75. Bestehen des Hammett Roman's "The Maltese Falcon" diskutiert Parker hier zusammen mit "Richard Layman" vom Hammett Estate. Er taucht ungefähr ab der Hälfte auf.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4492312

Solltet ihr noch weitere kennen oder finden, dürft ihr die hier posten. fröhlich
« Letzte Änderung: 29. April 2015, 13:32:24 von Seamus » Gespeichert

Peter Berg (Spenser Confidential) on Marc Maron's Podcast:
"The books were all written by Ace Atkins. The author died in the seventies. The series has around 700 books in it."
Seamus
Administrator
Dan Tanna's Wagenwäscher

Profil anzeigen WWW
« Antworten #1 am: 13. April 2014, 16:23:40 »

Hier auf dieser Seite habe ich auch noch mal 2 Audio-Interviews von und mit RBP gefunden:

http://www.wiredforbooks.org/robertparker/

Scheint eine recht alte Webseite zu sein, von daher werde ich demnächst mal reinhören. Scheint sehr interessant zu sein!

"The books were all written by Ace Atkins. The author died in the seventies. The series has around 700 books in it."
Seamus
Administrator
Dan Tanna's Wagenwäscher

Profil anzeigen WWW
« Antworten #2 am: 29. April 2015, 13:37:32 »

Habe ein seltenes Interview aus dem Jahr 2005 gefunden indem Eric Berlin, RBP einige interessante Fragen gestellt hat. Da Teil 2 und 3 schon gelöscht und nicht mehr aufrufbar sind, sollte man sich den ersten Teil der noch online ist so schnell wie möglich durchlesen.

http://blogcritics.org/dumpster-bust-interviews-robert-b-parker/

Seamus
Administrator
Dan Tanna's Wagenwäscher

Profil anzeigen WWW
« Antworten #3 am: 19. Februar 2016, 14:32:43 »

Habe hier noch ein Interview mit Robert B. Parker auf einer nicht mehr existierenden Seite gefunden.

1) I would say that your most famous work has to be the Spencer series. How would you describe Spenser.

1. I've spent thirty books describing Spenser, all I have to add to that is that he's a little taller than I am.

2) How has Spenser changed since you first started writing him?

2. Sine I don't reread my books, I have no way to know. I would assume he has because I have. I am less of a wisely, less physical than I used to be. I understand myself and everything else better than I did when I began.

3) Do you plan to continue to write Spenser?

3. I plan to write a new Spenser every year and publish him every spring, until I fall over at the keyboard.

4) In recent years you’ve added two new series to your repertoire, the Sunny Randall and Jesse Stone. Is there a different approach to writing women characters?

4. The approach is the same. I need some help from Joan on some of the particularly female matters -- make up, sex, interior monologue. But the things which unite us are considerably more important than those which divide us.

5) What brought about the two new series?

5.Sunny was commissioned by Helen Hunt to be the basis for some films (which project is currently in limbo). Jesse because I wanted to try a character younger, less evolved, a cop, and tell it from the third person.

6) You also write books out of the different series. Are these books things that you just need to get out of your system, or subjects that interest you? Is the writing process any different with the stand alones?

6. I occasionally write a stand alone book because I want to, something which interests me, something that might make a fine novel, something that might stretch me a little as a writer. These books are usually done, between and around the franchise books and thus take longer. They tend to be more experimental. In these books I am willing to do research.

7) You’ve had quite a few books put done by Hollywood. Any sage advice for someone dealing with Hollywood for the first time?

7. Take the money and run. Don't try to save your story. You can't.

8) If “The Robert B Parker” movie was ever made, who would you want involved in the movie? And who would you cast in it?

8. Joan would have to produce the RBP movie. She and my sons would have to write and direct. No one else would have a clue. I would be played by Tom Cruise.

9) How important a role does Boston play in the Spencer books? Do you think they would work in a different setting?

9. Boston is just where I live. So I use it as location. If I lived in Milwaukee, I'd use it as location. The books would work the same.

10) Did you enjoy teaching?

10. I did not enjoy teaching.

11) Was it a bit daunting to write Raymond Chandler’s character Phillip Marlowe?

11. Finishing the Chandler book, and writing a sequel was a bit daunting, maybe more for me than others because I admired him so.

12) Of all the books you’ve written, which is your favorite book, and which id your favorite Spenser?

12. All Our Yesterdays is my favorite book ( I think it my best). I don't have a favorite Spenser. They are all part of a continuum

13) Looking back, is there any thing in your life you would change if you could?

13. There are a number of things I'd change. But not if I had to change other things. This too is a continuum. In large outline, I've done everything I ever wanted to do, and have been particularly wise in my choice of wife and sons.

14) What do you think is the coolest part of being a writer?

14. Coolest part of being a writer is the autonomy. I stay home, write what I want to, send it in and they pay me.

15) You probably get asked a whole lot of questions by a whole lot of people. What question do you get asked the most?

15. Where do I get my ideas.

16) When you aren’t writing, what kind of things occupy your time?

16. I swim, lift weights, watch baseball and Law & Order, read some non fiction, eat out with Joan, visit my sons, reason with Pearl III.

17) Does a lot of thought go into your book titles? And does the publisher give you input on them?

17. Sometimes the titles are easy, sometimes they aren't. My publisher helps choose them as needed (my editor chose WALKING SHADOW).

18) What was the happiest day of your life, so far at least?

18. When I married Joan, when my sons were born.

19) I understand that you are working on a book about Jackie Robinson. Can you tell a little bit what it’s about?

19. The Jackie Robinson book will be fiction. It imagines a white bodyguard employed to protect Robinson, and experience racial bigotry as if he were black.

20) Do you read mysteries? Do you have any favorite authors?

20.I don't read much fiction, though I greatly admire Elmore Leonard.

21) What is the one thing always in your refrigerator?

21. Orange Juice, fruit, whole wheat bread.

Quelle: https://web.archive.org/web/20030123042544/http://www.mysteryone.com/RobertParkerInterview.htm

Meiner Meinung nach hätte er ruhig ausführlicher auf die Fragen eingehen können. Aber waren schon ein paar interessante Antworten dabei. Dass Parker keinen Lieblings-Spenser-Roman hat, wunderte mich aber sehr.

Mr. Stepinfatchit
Administrator
Co-Pilot von Lucky Singer

Profil anzeigen
« Antworten #4 am: 19. Februar 2016, 15:04:16 »

"I plan to write a new Spenser every year and publish him every spring, until I fall over at the Keyboard".

Ziemlich unheimlich, wenn man bedenkt, dass es genauso gekommen ist schockiert.
Seamus
Administrator
Dan Tanna's Wagenwäscher

Profil anzeigen WWW
« Antworten #5 am: 20. Februar 2016, 10:40:18 »

Den gleichen Satz brachte er auch in einem anderen Interview dass ich hier mal gepostet hatte (das war glaube ich im Cole & Hitch Unterforum).

Die Aussage hört sich schon beängstigend an. Hatte er etwa eine Vision oder Vorahnung das so etwas in der Art geschehen wird.  schockiert

War insgesamt gesehen ein seltsames Interview mit ihm. Hat mir in der Gesamtheit nicht so zugesagt. Parker wirkte irgendwie lustlos und unhöflich. Sein Verhalten dem Interviewer gegenüber wirkte schon barsch. Dabei waren die Fragen doch interessant. Seine anderen Interviews gefielen mir weit besser als dieses.

Kann nicht nachvollziehen warum der Herr ihn als "Real Gentleman" bezeichnete (wohl aus Höflichkeit)  Ueberlegen

Habe hier noch ein weiteres Interview gefunden, hier kommt er sympathischer rüber:

https://web.archive.org/web/20020513032145/http://thecolumnists.com/miller/miller57.html

Mr. Stepinfatchit
Administrator

Profil anzeigen
« Antworten #6 am: 20. Februar 2016, 12:46:10 »

Ja, fand auch, dass er auf die Fragen recht barsch und knapp reagierte.
Seamus
Administrator
Dan Tanna's Wagenwäscher

Profil anzeigen WWW
« Antworten #7 am: 20. Februar 2016, 13:07:24 »

Die anderen Interviews die ich hier vorgestellt habe, sind besser. Da antwortete er viel ausführlicher und war generell besser gelaunt.

Hier hatte er wohl keine Lust, so kam es mir jedenfalls vor.

Mr. Stepinfatchit
Administrator

Profil anzeigen
« Antworten #8 am: 20. Februar 2016, 13:11:37 »

Stimmt, der Unterschied zu den anderen Interviews ist auffällig.
Seamus
Administrator
Dan Tanna's Wagenwäscher

Profil anzeigen WWW
« Antworten #9 am: 24. Februar 2016, 14:21:28 »

Habe noch ein weiteres Parker-Interview auf einer verschollenen, heute nicht mehr existierenden Seite gefunden:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080123114508/http://www.mysterynet.com/books/testimony/fivepages.shtml

MysteryNet:  What compelled you to write crime fiction in the first place?

Parker:  I have no idea. Probably reading Raymond Chandler early and often. It wasn't a conscious decision. I remember when it came time to write the first novel, I just sat down and wrote it. I didn't think what shall I do, shall I update, shall I transfer the crime story from Southern California? I just wrote The Godwulf Manuscript. Once you do that and someone buys it and publishes it, you tend to write another one.

The other answer is it's what I know how to do. As I have occasionally demonstrated, I know how to write something else but the market forces tend to make that less appealing as time goes on. The experience with All Our Yesterdays is a case in point. This is not to say I'll never do anything but the series. I have laying around someplace a novel about Wyatt Earpe which I'm about 150 pages into. I don't even have a contract for it. It is just sort of one of my hobbies. Unless fate intervenes that will someday see the light of day. I do so well now that I can do things that aren't profitable.

MysteryNet:  Where did the character Spenser come from?

Parker:  I suppose he came from Marlowe to start with. I think in The Godwulf Manuscript I was trying to be Raymond Chandler and make another Philip Marlowe. I have moved away from Marlowe/Chandler. At least there is a sufficient distance between us. I'd say that is where Spenser came from. I still am a great fan of Raymond Chandler. He's a wonderful writer.

MysteryNet:  What are the advantages and disadvantages of writing a series?

Parker:  The advantage is that it probably replicates, for lack of a better word, real life more than most fiction because most people have a history and know people and come and go and you have a chance to play with the characters and not just the protagonist. It gives you the opportunity to develop--lapsing back into academe for a moment--a whole fictive world. Gee, I love saying that now, just keeping my hand in. Fictive world!

MysteryNet:  Throughout your career you've done single novels outside the series, like All Our Yesterdays. What do they allow you to do?

Parker:  Well, they allow me to write about protagonists who are different than Spenser or to write about people in the third person, which for writers means more than for readers, but the point of view for me is a large element. It's very interesting to me to play with it. I couldn't write a novel dealing with the Irish troubles over three generations like I did in All Our Yesterdays in Spenser's voice. The time management in that novel was the most interesting of all the things I had to do and the most complicated. It's like being able to bench press 300-pounds when I was in my late fifties, I wanted to see if I could.

Love and Glory allowed me to play with boy meets girl, boy gets girl back, in ways once again that Spenser wouldn't permit. Wilderness allowed me to write a protagonist whose courage was severely suspect. By now it would be a little hard for Spenser to suddenly go yellow. I did a third person in the Jesse Stone novel in large part because it will be interesting over the years to work with a third person persistently in a series which I have never done before.

MysteryNet:  Do you have a writing procedure? For instance, do you outline your plots?

Parker:  Yeah, I sit down every day and write five pages on my computer. At some point I found that not outlining worked better than outlining. The outline had become something of a limitation more than it was a support. When I did the Raymond Chandler book, Poodle Springs, which was in the late eighties, I was trying to do it as Chandler did it, and since Chandler didn't outline then I thought I won't outline. If you read Chandler closely you can see that he didn't outline. What the hell happened to that chauffeur? I would recommend to the beginning writer that they should outline because they probably don't have enough self-confidence yet. But I've been writing now since 1971 and I know that I can think it up. I know it will come.

MysteryNet:  What do you think that you do best?

Parker:  I guess probably I am the great economist. I don't waste much in the way of language. Was it Harold Pinter that they called the great compressionist? I would lay claim to that in my own area of expertise. It is probably what I do best. Say a lot in a little. Put the most meaning in the fewest words.

MysteryNet:  Your prose is among the smoothest in crime fiction.

Parker:  I have heard that. I don't read about myself. I don't read reviews. I will not read this interview, however telling it may be, and I don't look at tapes of myself on the Today Show or when I'm on Larry King. My wife Joan keeps track of what's being said in the press, but she doesn't tell me unless she thinks I need to know. I like that old Hemingway line. If you believe the good stuff they write about you then you have to believe the bad. I've chosen not to pay attention.

MysteryNet:  You recently edited The Best of American Mystery Stories. How is the state of the American mystery story?

Parker:  I think the state of the mystery story is probably quite good. There are a lot of good writers doing it and the environment is acceptable. It is a good time when good writers can write detective stories without feeling they are debasing themselves. It used to drive Chandler crazy that he didn't get more respect because he wrote mystery stories. and his anger was probably justifiable because he was better than people gave him credit for.

Duke Ellington, I think, once said there are two kinds of music: good and bad. Duke preferred good. Well, I think you could say that about literature.

MysteryNet:  So you would see little difference between mainstream fiction and crime fiction?

Parker:  Not at its best. There is nothing going on in a Spenser novel that would prevent me from writing something as good as "The Bear," except that there is a limit on my ability. The form doesn't limit me, my ability limits me. My imagination is not as large as Faulkner's. The difference between Small Vices and let's say The Great Gatsby is once again a difference in quality not of subject matter. Gatsby is after all rather a mystery story, or a detective story, and if you could change Nick Caraway to a detective what would have been the difference? That's my rap on the difference between one kind and another. I don't think there is. It's good or it's not good; or it's better or it's worse.

MysteryNet:  Most of your books deal in various ways with social issues. Is the crime novel inherently a social kind of fiction?

Parker:  It probably is inherent because the detective novel is embedded in the fabric of the culture in so many ways. Because the detective story at the most elementary level is about human interaction, somebody kills somebody, somebody steals something belonging to somebody else, and another person tries to find out about it and because the focus of the search is into the culture and into the community and into the social fabric, it allows the protagonist to move across the full range of society. It gives you the opportunity for social criticism, in ways a novel which was not about this search for this hidden truth might not necessarily happen to.

MysteryNet:  In what ways are the Spenser books playing off the traditions of the hard-boiled detective story? For example how is he different from Marlowe?

Parker:  Well, Spenser has a love life, has a context, and has friends. He's not unhappy and he's not isolated. He doesn't say get me off this frozen star, as Marlowe does in one of the books. The loneliness is the price Marlowe pays for his integrity. Spenser is able to maintain it in context unlike Marlowe who has to remain separate in order to remain pure. I suppose that more than anything else separates them.

MysteryNet:  Did your doctoral thesis which included material on Hammett and Chandler influence your own writing?

Parker:  No. It's the other way round. I wrote the doctoral dissertation because I'd already done all of the reading. I had read all that stuff and everything around it by the time I was twelve, fourteen-years-old. The pulp magazines were still flourishing in my childhood, and I was very taken with it all. So that when it came time to do a doctoral dissertation I thought, since I've done all the reading in this area, why not write on it?.

It took me two weeks to write my doctoral dissertation, which is what it was worth. It was about the right amount of time. It's not terribly good, but it was sufficient to get me a Ph.D. and free me from the toils of freshman comp. The fact that I wrote this doctoral dissertation and then became who I am is far less significant than it would appear. I would have been exactly who I am had I not written that doctoral dissertation. But while I am not pro academic, I found getting the Ph.D. very useful and one of the most productive and enriching things I ever did.

Bester Satz von Parker: I don't read this interview.  totlachen

Das er noch nie Reviews von seinen Romanen gelesen hat, kann ich mir nur schwer vorstellen. Wollte er nie erfahren, was andere Leute über seine Werke denken?

Auf jeden Fall ein gutes Interview in dem Parker mal ausfürlich, statt kurz und knapp, die Fragen beantwortet hat.

Mr. Stepinfatchit
Administrator

Profil anzeigen
« Antworten #10 am: 24. Februar 2016, 14:59:14 »

Wirklich interessantes Interview.
Vielleicht hat er es tatsächlich so gehandhabt, dass er Joan hat lesen und entscheiden lassen, was er davon wissen muss.
Seamus
Administrator
Dan Tanna's Wagenwäscher

Profil anzeigen WWW
« Antworten #11 am: 24. Februar 2016, 15:06:34 »

Möglich wäre es. Ich kann es mir vorstellen, aber finde es dennoch unüblich. Ich habe jedes Review zu unseren Alben gelesen und ich denke mal, dass es die meisten Schriftsteller auch so gehandhabt haben. Parker war da wohl echt eine Ausnahme.

Ich fand es auch sehr interessant! Hervorheben muss ich die Antwort auf die vorletzte Frage, wo er auch von Spenser's Privatleben spricht und wo er Spenser mit Marlowe verglichen hat - wie wir vor einigen Tagen in einem anderen Thread.

Spenser
Administrator
Mitarbeiter bei Dan Tanna

FORENBOSS / ADMINISTRATOR

Profil anzeigen WWW
« Antworten #12 am: 26. Februar 2016, 13:41:22 »

Sehr geniale Interviews!!!!!!

Interessant finde ich immer wieder, dass viele Romanautoren selbst nicht gerne lesen....klar, kann ich andererseits auch verstehen grins Aber habe ich jetzt schon mehrfach gelesen / gehört.

DIE HOMEPAGE ZUM FORUM:
http://robert-urich.jimdo.com/

DAS SIND MEINE ANDEREN FOREN & FANPAGES:
http://tvparadies.net

Spenser:"Es braucht schon einen harten Mann, um ein zartes Hühnchen zuzubereiten
Seamus
Administrator
Dan Tanna's Wagenwäscher

Profil anzeigen WWW
« Antworten #13 am: 26. Februar 2016, 16:48:48 »

Interessant finde ich immer wieder, dass viele Romanautoren selbst nicht gerne lesen....klar, kann ich andererseits auch verstehen grins Aber habe ich jetzt schon mehrfach gelesen / gehört.

Habe ich auch schon von mehreren Autoren gehört. Parker schrieb in dem einen Interview weiter oben ja, das er zwar schon gerne gelesen hat, aber wenn dann bevorzugte er wohl Sachliteratur. Zumindest hört sich das so an, wenn er sagt "I don't read much fiction".

Spenser
Administrator
Mitarbeiter bei Dan Tanna

FORENBOSS / ADMINISTRATOR

Profil anzeigen WWW
« Antworten #14 am: 28. Februar 2016, 07:30:45 »

Aber Elmore Leonhard mochte er ja...kann ich verstehen - muß da gleich an "Justified" denken grins

DIE HOMEPAGE ZUM FORUM:
http://robert-urich.jimdo.com/

DAS SIND MEINE ANDEREN FOREN & FANPAGES:
http://tvparadies.net

Spenser:"Es braucht schon einen harten Mann, um ein zartes Hühnchen zuzubereiten
Seiten: [1] 2 3
  Drucken  

Gehe zu:  

Meine anderen Foren und Homepages

RECHTLICHER HINWEIS!
Das Landgericht Hamburg hat im Urteil vom 12.05.1998 entschieden, daß man durch die Aufbringung von Links die Inhalte der gelinkten Seite ggf. mit zu verantworten hat. Die kann - so das LG - nur dadurch verhindert werden, daß man sich ausdrücklich von diesen Inhalten distanziert. Für alle Links auf diesem Forum gilt: Ich, der Eigentümer dieses Forum, betone ausdrücklich, daß ich keinerlei Einfluß auf die Gestaltung und die Inhalte der gelinkten Seiten habe. Deshalb distanziere ich mich hiermit ausdrücklich von allen Inhalten aller gelinkten Seiten auf dem gesamten Forum inklusive aller Unterseiten. Diese Erklärung gilt für alle auf der Homepage tvparadies.net und tvparadies.net/c_m_c (Robert Urich & Spenser Forum) angebrachten Links und für alle Inhalte der Seiten, zu denen Links führen.