NOSTALGIE CRIME BOARD
29. März 2024, 16:10:21 *
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren.

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge

Fanpage   Übersicht   Hilfe Suche Kalender Einloggen Registrieren  
Facebook Link Facebook Link Meine anderen Foren und Homepages
Seiten: [1]
  Drucken  
Autor Thema: Die Rennpferde von Jack Klugman  (Gelesen 1118 mal) Durchschnittliche Bewertung: 0
Dan Tanna Spenser
NOSTALGIE NERD
Administrator
Chief of Police, Deputy Commissioner

TV SERIEN JUNKIE

« am: 20. August 2016, 05:23:36 »

Goliath schrieb:
Jack Klugman besass ja eine eigene Ranch und Rennpferde. In diesem Thread können wir nun alles zuammen tragen.

Beginnen wir mit dem Bild Jaklin Klugman:

Das Bild ist aus einer Serie von 350 Stück. Bild mit Unterschrift von Jack Klugman kostet dann auf Ebay $ 434.15. Das Bild gibt es auf ebay express in Amerika zu kaufen. Hier die Beschreibung:

I am pleased to offer for your consideration a truly wonderful rare framed vintage print.
Obtained from the private collection of a former horse owner, this framed vintage print is of the champion son of Orbit Ruler, the great race horse Jacklin Klugman. The print is in wonderful condition. Titled Morning at Pimlico, the print is framed under glass. The gold leaf frame is designed with inlaid horse heads in a continuous border surrounding the matted print. A most magnificent frame. The print is hand signed by noted artist Jill Dodson and legendary actor and celebrity Jack Klugman. Outer dimensions of the framed print are 30 1/4 x 26. The print is matted with an acid free mat and positioned in the frame with professional artists tape on the top side (over foam board to ensure preservation of the print over time). The print is number 201 of the edition of 350. Shipped extremely well insulated via express mail, insured $39.99. International shipments $49.99.(PLEASE NOTE: The framed print is much better than the internet image seen above, as the photo I took was of the print already framed under glass. The burgandy mat is perfect and uniform in color throughout.)

Die Preisgelder
1977 JAKLIN KLUGMAN,Gr,c,Orbit Ruler 3 19 10 2 2 478,878 27.86
DP = 8-4-10-0-0 DI = 3.40 CD = 0.91
At 2 Won California Breeders' Champion S. (75,000)
At 3 Won California Derby -G2 (150,000), Jerome H. -G2 (100,000),
Hawthorne Derby -G3 (100,000), 2nd Vosburgh S. -G1 (100,000), 3rd
Marlboro Cup H. -G1 (300,000), Kentucky Derby -G1 (200,000)
At 4 2nd Gulfstream Sprint Champ H. (50,000)

Dan Tanna Spenser
NOSTALGIE NERD
Administrator
Chief of Police, Deputy Commissioner

TV SERIEN JUNKIE

« Antworten #1 am: 20. August 2016, 05:24:31 »

Goliath schrieb:
Jaklin Klugman ist übrigens 1996 gestorben.

Hier noch ein paar Facts. Nun haben wir wohl alles rausgefunden?!

Jaklin Klugman (1977-1996) was an American Thoroughbred racehorse. He was owned and bred in California by John Dominguez and actor Jack Klugman. He showed promise as a two-year-old, winning the California Breeders' Champion Stakes. At age three, after winning the California Derby in March, he would go on to race in the Kentucky Derby.

Ridden by champion jockey Darrel McHargue in the 1980 Kentucky Derby, Jaklin Klugman ran third to winner Genuine Risk. For that year, he also finished second in the then Grade I Vosburgh Stakes and third in the Marlboro Cup Invitational Handicap before winning the Jerome Handicap and the Hawthorne Derby later in the fall. His performances earned him 1980 California Horse of the Year honors.

Retired to stud duty, Jaklin Klugman stood at a ranch in Temecula, California, which was purchased by owner Jack Klugman and named El Rancho de Jaklin. Among his offspring was Sky Jack, who won the 2002 Hollywood Gold Cup.

Jaklin Klugman died in March of 1996 from a ruptured aorta at El Rancho de Jaklin.

Ich habe noch ein Interview aus einem Pferdemagazin gefunden. Wurde vor 3 Jahren gemacht und ist extrem interessant. Vorallem die Geschichte mit Fred Astaire und President Ford. Ich wusste auch nicht, dass Jack einmal eine Farm mit 90 Pferden hatte.

Jack Klugman File: The 83-year-old Philadelphia native played two of the most recognizable characters in television history during his long and storied career on the small screen. Klugman portrayed Oscar Madison in the hit comedy “The Odd Couple” (1970-'75). He followed that role with a long run on Quincy (1976-'83), where he became the world's most famous medical examiner. Klugman is a two-time Emmy Award winner and also a Tony Award nominee for his work on Broadway.

HORSEPLAYER: How did you become a horseplayer?
KLUGMAN: I've been a gambler all my life, since I was five years old. I used to work shining shoes, and when I'd make a few pennies, we had this game where you'd try and land one on top of another, and, if you did, you got the penny. I lost quite a few pennies that way, but I loved it. I learned how to play poker and pinochle before I was 10 and I knew enough gambling games by the time I was 12 to lose four fortunes….and I probably did.

As soon as I got old enough to go to the races, over at old Garden State, I did. That was it for me; I became a horseplayer. I used to go to Vegas a lot, and I would just play the horses, nothing else. I just love horses; they're such great athletes, so coordinated, and they try so hard every time. You know, old horseplayers live longer – guys my age and older, they run to that window all the time. I really believe that. It gives you something to live for, the hope that you're going to hit something big that next day. It keeps you going, that hope.

Now, I mostly go by the breeding, the trainers and the jockeys. Speed, I don't use much anymore, because you can't tell. But trainers, they go on hot streaks; they get cold and I follow that. I really like (jockeys) Jerry Bailey and John Velazquez; those guys are something. When I see the two of them in a race, I'll often put the two of them on top in a superfecta and then play around beneath them with some prices. I've done pretty well that way the past couple years.

HP: Which track is your favorite?
KLUGMAN: Saratoga. I've been to racetracks all over the world: China, Japan, Australia, Florence, Italy…but the best track, the most colorful, is Saratoga. To me, that's class. You go there to bet, the best horses go there and the people are just great. It's a wonderful place for a horseplayer. I like it better than Churchill Downs, which is second to me because of the history and I guess because I had a horse (Jaklin Klugman) run third in the Derby.

Del Mar is a great vacation track, a great place to have a good time and enjoy the ocean, and the great weather. I used to go there a lot because it was close to my farm, but it was always more like a vacation. Saratoga is horse racing.

HP: Who are your favorite horses?
KLUGMAN: In 1980-‘81 when Jaklin Klugman was racing, I went to Kentucky and visited a lot of farms and got to meet a lot of the great horses. I met Nashua when he was 28 and, as I petted him, I told him, “I bet on you when you were three years old!” I just love the history of horses.

Eddie Arcaro became a friend of mine and I always thought he was the absolute best rider there was. He rode so many of the great horses and he'd tell me about them. He said Bold Ruler was a nice horse, but he changed the whole breeding game. Kelso was one of the great ones, and, of course, Citation. John Henry, now that was a champion racehorse, but he was one mean SOB. He used to be stabled right near Jaklin, so I‘d go over to see him, and he was a mean bastard. But, boy, could he run; he loved it, too…always gave 150 percent. When you bet on John Henry, you got your money's worth.

HP: How did you get Jaklin Klugman?
KLUGMAN: I had a partner named John Dominguez and we started with claiming horses. We did pretty well for a while, then we claimed one for $16,000, he came out of the race lame and we sold him the next day for $800. A couple days later, we claimed another one for $12,000 and he came out of his race lame, too. We were so disgusted our trainer, Riley Cofer, said, “Instead of selling this horse, why don't you breed it to my stallion, and I won't charge you?” John Dominguez said, “Good, and when the horse is ready to run, we'll name it Jack Klugman, so every time it loses, you'll be humiliated.”

The guy at the farm said it was a filly, so I told him you gotta change the name, so he called it Jaklin Klugman. A year later, the guy turned the horse over to us and it was a colt, stuck with that name….how'd ya like to have that guy in charge of your sex life?

Going to that 1980 Derby was the most-exciting experience of my life. I was with Fred Astaire once when he had a $9,000 claimer win a race and he invited me down to the winners' circle and he danced, literally danced, all the way down there. I said, “Geez, a $9,000 claimer and you're dancin'?” He said, “Jack, if you ever have the opportunity of your horse winning the Kentucky Derby or you winning the Academy Award, you'll pick the Derby.” He was right. There was never any thrill like seeing Genuine Risk, the filly, in front and then my horse comes out of the pack and the announcer says, “…And here comes Jaklin Klugman!” I was never so excited in my life. A mile-and-a-quarter was a little far for him, but you couldn't beat him at a mile when he was fit. He was fit for the Jerome and won it in 1:34-1/5 with Cordero pinning him down on the fence the whole way. That was really something; he was a helluva horse.

HP: Did you enjoy being an owner?
KLUGMAN: Owning horses, especially good ones like Jaklin, can be the great equalizer. I remember having coffee at Belmont about five or six in the morning one day when a guy asked if he could sit next to me. I said, “Sure,” and then he starts asking me about my horse and we get to talking. He turns out to be Alfred Gwynne Vanderbilt!

There's an even better one that happened up at Saratoga. I was staying at a house up there for a week with a friend, and this guy comes over for dinner one night. It turns out he's the guy who owns all the banks: Mellon, Paul Mellon. Nice guy. Anyway, we get to talking horses and he says, “But Jack, I'm not fortunate enough to have a horse like Jaklin Klugman.” I thought, “My God, three years ago I couldn't borrow five-hundred bucks at your bank, and now were equals!” It was a wonderful experience and all thanks to a horse.

I even had President Ford call and wish me luck before the Derby. Can you imagine? After Jaklin retired, I built a farm and had 90 horses in training at one time. There was nothing that would comfort me more than going out into the field and playing with the yearlings, petting them, getting to know them because they all have distinct personalities. Every one is different. God, I just loved that, just being around them. I had to sell the farm eventually because I couldn't afford to be a breeder, but I still have some horses with Barry Abrams that will be two year-olds next year and then the same thing the year after that because I gave him some nice mares. I don't want to die until I win the Kentucky Derby!

HP: Are you “Oscar Madison,” your character from the “The Odd Couple,” in real life?
KLUGMAN: Oh yeah, that was me. It's me. I'm not that dirty, although I am messy. I love to gamble, I love sports, I love women and I love to take it easy.

HP: What have been your biggest scores?
KLUGMAN: One of them wasn't on horse racing; it was on that tennis match between Bobby Riggs and Billie Jean King. They had both been guests on the “Odd Couple” and I knew she was going to kick his ass. I knew she was a dedicated athlete and in top shape and playing for not only pride but women's rights, too. He was just doing it for a lark. I got 7-to-2 on her! Talk about an overlay. I made a big bet on that one.
I made some nice scores on my own horses, about $40,000 one time. Horse was 7-to-1 and I bet around $6,000 on him. Marty Ritt (director of Norma Rae, Hud, Casey's Shadow et al) was a helluva handicapper, and he would make his own line the night before and look for overlays. One day, he was watching the board and shaking his head. He had a horse figured at 5-to-2 and the horse was 17-1. He said, “I can't figure this out.” So, I went and put $300 on his nose and the horse won and paid $37. That was nice. Marty found a lot of those, maybe not $37 horses, but some nice overlays off his line.

HP: Are you a different player now?
KLUGMAN: I used to bet big, beyond my means, but not anymore. Now I just enjoy it. I only go by myself. I don't like going with people because they ask you questions about your family and I don't do that. I go because I love the horse races. I love to handicap. I go to a place where I'm all by myself and I make hundreds of bets a day, all kinds of exotics, usually trifectas and superfectas. I win a couple hundred, lose a couple hundred and I have just as much of a thrill as when I used to bet big.

I curse at the jockeys and trainers just as much now as I used to when I was betting a lot more money. People ask me why I yell so much and I tell them, “That's why I come to the races - to yell, to get it out of my system.” When I'm racing, nothing else comes into my mind. Same when I'm handicapping. I don't think about acting, or my bills, or my troubles or anything, just handicapping. It's a wonderful escape for me. Boy, I love it. I have a great time, just a great time.

I usually leave with one or two races unresolved so I'm leaving on a positive note, figuring I'll hit those two. I like that idea of leaving with a positive outlook. No matter how those turn out, by the next day, I start all over again. As long as I have a bet in, I'm positive. You're only out of the game if you're not playing.

HP: Do you still go to the track regularly?
KLUGMAN: Oh yeah. Usually I go to Hollywood Park because it's closer to where I live in Malibu. I get there early and bet all the tracks - Belmont, Churchill, you name it. Sometimes I'll go out to Santa Anita when they're open because I need to see the horses up close, need to see them run with those mountains in the background. It's so beautiful; it just makes me feel good.

Seiten: [1]
  Drucken  

Gehe zu:  

Meine anderen Foren und Homepages